- Genre: drama
- Hall: Main Hall
- Premiere: 14. november 2020., 19:00
- Length: 3 hours without pause
- Set and costume designer: Irina Moscu
- Translator: Ciprian Marinescu
- Sound designer: Andrei Raicu
- Light designer: Gabriel Niculescu
- Stage Manager: Stelian Chițacu
- Prompter: Laura Moldovan
Via Dolorosa (Latin for “Way of Suffering”) is the last route that Jesus walked on his way to death, carrying his cross to cleanse the sins of humanity.
In the production staged by Theodor-Cristian Popescu based on Rebekka Kricheldorf’s play, Via Dolorosa becomes Villa Dolorosa, the sorrowful way becomes a disintegrating household, and Chekhov’s three sisters – Irina, Masha and Olga – are three contemporary women. The performance depicts three consecutive aniversaries of Irina’s birthday and the events stress out on every ocasion the drama that took over the sister’s lives which is made of conflicts generated by financial strain, lack of purpose, weariness, debts, anguish and despair.
Birthdays should turn into rebirthdays but the characters seem incapable of crossing their limits. Or there is, maybe, some hidden hope?