The Theatre

Târgu-Mureș National Theatre

The Târgu-Mureș National Theatre is the only theatre in Romania with national state wich has two companies playing in two languages with two repertoires  (Hungarian and Romanian), but also functions as a single institution.

The Târgu-Mureș National Theatre is the successor of the Secler Theatre founded in 1946 as a first institutional theatre company in the town. At the beginning in Hungarian, and since 1962 flared with a Romanian company, the Theatre is one of the keystones of Târgu-Mureș’s cultural life. It works as a repertory theatre and according to the „national” attribute, it aims to represent and communicate the values of both cultures. In the spirit of interculturalism, the two theatre companies work together and by the invitation of foreign guest directors, the theatre opens towards European theatrical endeavors.

The Hungarian company, named after a former director and manager, Miklós Tompa, considers as its main task the contemporary dramaturgy, the modern theatrical forms and the reading of contemporary classic works of literature.